Saturday, May 2, 2009

lables, tags, or identities?

Singer
Dancer
Rich
Poor
Fun
Boring
Imaginative
Plain
Smart
Dumb
Blonde
Brunette
Young
Old
"Is this who I am?" some people ask "Does this really define me?" Well, I say, the answer is yes and the answer is no. It is who you are, but it does not define you. If your name was a dictionary definition, would it look like this?:
[Insert name](noun)-A smart brunette who wears jeans and T-shirts
I say NOT! Those sound like half- labels to me. Now lets try some controversial ones:
Gay
Straight
Black
White
Biracial
Racist
Sexist
Autistic
Now, don't some of those sound like accusations to you? How many times have you heard someone say "You're gay!" in a mocking tone? As for the race ones: where I go to school, the word" racist" is thrown around like a cheap dart. Being African American(or Black, or Negro, whichever you prefer) I don't hear it in reference to me, but I have heard it once because of me.
Ok, please please PLEASE don't confuse my message with political correctness. That is just stepping on MAJOR eggshells to please everyone. Not gonna work, someone will always be offended.
This is my stand
TOXIC

No comments:

Post a Comment